Saturday, August 22, 2009

Peru Vacation: Afterward

Date: Sometime in late May 2008

Unlike my other chapters, this one I write in real time. I am sitting at a table at the gay coffee house across the street, a free internet connection and lots of unwanted attention comes with my presence. Music plays in the background and I hate it. One song after another that sound as though they belong on a "Time Life" music compilation that's pitched on late night TV infomercials...maybe titled "Homosexual Harmonies of the 1980 and 90's". I have no qualms with gay people, in fact, I think they have great taste in many things, but for some reason they miss the mark when it comes to music.

The guy who just sat uncomfortably close to me smells like a strange combination or citrus and machine shop. I have been back in the United States for about 24 hours now. I still find my self tempted to say "Buenos dias!" to the clerk at the post office, and am surprised to hear people speaking English around me and to me. Despite my present surroundings, it's good to be back. Yesterday I ate In 'N Out and pizza....tomorrow I go to work. Right now, it's just time to get the hell out of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment